EHS School Psychologist

Kathryn Robinson, School Psychologist
What is a School Psychologist?

A School Psychologist is a person trained in both psychology and education. School psychologists hold masters, specialist, or Ph.D. degrees. The principle duties of the psychologist in most schools is to provide psychological and educational assessment services to students who are referred as possible candidates for special education services. These assessments may include cognitive ability testing also known as intelligence or IQ testing, educational skills testing, and social, behavioral and emotional testing. Prior parental permission is required in writing before this testing may be done. School psychologists also provide consultation to parents and classroom teachers as requested. Additionally, the psychologist may lead groups focused on topics such as social skills development, teen issues, drug and alcohol intervention, and family change groups. Counseling to individual students may be provided on a short-term or crisis intervention basis.

What is Special Education?
Special education refers to additional educational services that are available to students who are determined to have a disability that significantly impacts their ability to perform in school. These students may need to have some accommodations or adaptations in order to overcome or minimize the effect of their disability. The specific accommodations or adaptations are determined by a team of people including the student, his or her parents, special and regular education teachers, a school administrator, the school nurse, the school psychologist and, at times, others who are involved in the student's life. The plan that is developed is called the Individual Education Plan or IEP. This plan is reviewed annually, or more frequently, as needed, in order to continue to meet the needs of the student with a disability.

In some circumstances students with a disabling condition may not meet the criteria for special education services but may still require accommodations to access his or her learning. In these cases an accommodation plan called a 504 Plan can be written to meet the student's needs.

Contact: Kathryn Robinson